Come and work with us!
We are currently seeking an Assistant Curator to join our team.
The Physics Room is an internationally-recognised art space dedicated to developing contemporary art and critical discourse in Aotearoa, New Zealand. Working closely with the Director, the Assistant Curator will develop curatorial and project management experience by playing a key role in the successful delivery of exhibitions, publications, offsite projects, and events at The Physics Room.
At the beginning of 2018, The Physics Room shifted its operational model and its physical site. At the core of these organisational changes was a desire to increase access to the practitioners and work The Physics Room supports and raise our level of visibility within Ōtautahi, Christchurch. The ideal applicant will be passionate about the role of art in a wider social context and be driven to do the best by artists at all times.
This role is 40 hours per week, full time. The starting salary range for Assistant Curator is $37,000 - $40,000 per annum.
How to apply:
Applications should include a CV and cover letter outlining your interests and experience relevant to the role. Please email your application to Director Jamie Hanton at email@example.com with the job title in the subject line.
If you have any questions about the position or application process, please contact Jamie via email.
Applications close midnight Friday 22 March 2019.
Assistant Curator Position Description, March 2019:
• The Physics Room Director, Office Manager, Publications Co-ordinator, Access Co-ordinator, and volunteers
• Artists and arts professionals
• Audience members
• Media and art writers
• Select stakeholders, collaborators, and partners
• Assist the Director with the research and development of projects
• Support and manage the planning and installation of exhibitions and offsite projects
• Manage the movement of artworks to and from The Physics Room
• Work closely with the Director to maintain excellent relationships with exhibiting artists, technicians, and contractors
• Support and manage events, performances, and functions
• Assist with editing of texts and publicity writing to support the programme
• Manage media relationships and social media in accordance with The Physics Room marketing and communications plan, as well as the Digital Strategy
• Ensure the website contains relevant, up to date information
• Actively seek publicity and manage the production of promotional materials
• Track media coverage and measure efficacy of promotional and press material
• Assist the Director with the implentation and development of The Physics Room’s Audience Development Strategy
• Support, develop, and manage a range of public programme activities
• Provide introductory material and present talks when required
• Manage the volunteers programme
• Assist the Director with hosting visiting artists, curators, and other guests
• Assist the Director to maintain financial integrity of the organisation
• Assist with recording of performance measures and the preparation of reports
Essential Skills & Competencies:
• Demonstrates understanding and commitment to the principles and practice of the Treaty of Waitangi
• Interest in, and knowledge of, a wide range of artistic practices
• Ability to research with a strong attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills including ability to write in a clear and accessible manner
Desired Skills & Competencies:
• Full drivers licence
• Familiarity with social media platforms including Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
• Experience with the Adobe software suite including Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
• Experience with Mailchimp and Survey Monkey platforms